Protect Your Playground
How can we help protect your playground?
See your ideas come to life with funding from Powdr.
Playgrounds aren’t limited to spaces for swings and slides. They are also the mountains we ski down and hike up, the skate and terrain parks that consume our days, and the countless havens boosting our next big adventure.
But what would our world, our lives, be without these playgrounds? The continued use of these is only guaranteed by our consciousness today. There is a wealth of inspired ideas to protect local environments, but the vision for change doesn’t always come with the necessary resources to make that dream a reality.
Protect Your Playground exists to empower and inspire individuals to identify and develop solutions for environmental issues that affect their local natural playgrounds. We know that by providing innovative, environmentally minded individuals with the tools and resources they need to turn their ideas into action and impact, together we can make systemic, lasting contributions to our communities.
The question is: how can we help you Protect Your Playground?
Think big. Play big.
Great ideas often come from unassuming places and if your brainstorming skills are anything like your recreational ones, there’s a good chance you’ve already been thinking about this. Powdr has $40,000 to give – let us know what you need to bring your plan to life. Gather your concept(s), rally the troops, and apply.
Your idea will be reviewed by our team of experts. If your entry is selected, it will be promoted on the grounds of Boreal Mountain Resort as well as through our social networks to bring that much more attention to your plan.
We are excited to see your creativity and back it with the resources needed to see your vision through and protect your playground.
Apply Now to Protect Your Playground
Protect Your Playground Grant- Frequently Asked Questions
The focus of Protect Your Playground is to empower individuals. Please no 501(c)3 organizations. People of all ages are welcome to participate.
Are there any restrictions?
Grants will not be awarded for debt reductions or retiring past operating deficits, sponsorships and dinners, fellowships or other grants to individuals, loans, litigation, political or marketing campaigns, graduate and postgraduate research or for projects or organizations that further a political or religious doctrine.
I have a project that needs funding. Where do I begin?
- Make sure your project is keeping with the mission to Protect Your Playground. In other words, what is your project going to do to help the future of the environment/outdoor spaces in your community? Carefully decide on your funding goals and ensure that they make sense. How is the money going to be used? It is helpful to be as specific as possible so the review committee understands that you have thought this through and you are not arbitrarily throwing a number out there.
- Get visual! Make a video/drawing/collage or any other visual representation – show us how creative and innovative your idea is through your application! People will be more apt to like/share/retweet a short video or image than a written description. Production value is not important. Content value, however, is extremely important.
- Fill out an application. Although videos and images are more likely to be shared, we still need a written description of the project, budget, etc.
How much can I ask for?
Powdr has $40,000 in grants for Protect Your Playground. You can ask for as much as you think your project needs, with a max of $2,500. The dollar amount allotted to you is at the discretion of the review committee based on how well you’ve expressed your needs in your application and budget.
When are the applications due?
Protect Your Playground grant applications are due no later than February 21, 2014.
Who decides which projects get funding and which don’t?
After a committee of Boreal Mountain Resort employees reviews and vets each submission, they will pick the viable projects and bring to the public via resort channels (website, PR, Social Media, etc.). We will also select the top 2-4 projects to be featured on our resort property. Daily visitors to the resort will see and learn about these projects and will be able to vote for them onsite.
The decision will ultimately lie with the committee, but the more buzz generated around your idea, the more clout it will have with the judges and community friends and guests.
What happens if my project gets funded?
Congratulations! We will get ahold of you via the contact info provided on your application. Before you receive your funding you will be asked to sign a few things:
- An agreement that the funds you receive will be used as you stated they would be in your budget proposal.
- An agreement to allow Boreal Mountain Resort to follow up with you to periodically check on the progress and results of your project and for Boreal Mountain Resort, Protect Your Playground and Powdr to send out a film crew to feature your project and results across our platforms.
Once the money is in your hands, it’s time to start being an agent of change in your community
If I’m not selected this year, can I apply again?
Absolutely! We welcome any and all ideas each season.
Can I apply at multiple resorts?
No. Since Protect Your Playground is focused on communities, please submit your idea to yours.
I’m an employee at Boreal Mountain Resort? Can I participate?
Yes! The more ideas, the more our community benefits.